Weight loss is an important step of becoming healthy and staying healthy and often the reason people get Gastric Bypass Surgery.
Numerous studies have shown that obesity — especially morbid obesity — can result in major health problems if not addressed, such as type 2 diabetes, heart disease, strokes, and certain kinds of cancers. After losing a lot of weight, you may find it necessary to visit with a plastic surgeon to help improve your body contour. Skin tightening is what most people need and the procedures to perform skin tightening are known as “contouring” procedures or redundant skin reduction plastic surgery.
OBESITY and sagging, redundant skin after weight loss
Why Your Skin Often Remains Stretched Out After Significant Weight Loss or after Gastric Sleeve/Gastric Band or Gastric Balloon Surgery
- When you gain a lot of weight, your skin will gradually stretch to accommodate the additional girth that you put on with the added weight.
- This expansion can be rather extensive.
- When you lose that weight, the skin can only shrink and revert so far.
- This is just the nature of skin laxity and is actually normal.
- It’s for this reason that Specialist Plastic Surgeons offer body contouring surgeries for skin tightening after major weight loss.
These surgeries will help improve your overall body contour and give you a frame that is more proportionate and aesthetically pleasing.
Body Contouring and Skin Tightening: Surgical Options to Consider for After Your Weight Loss or Bariatric Surgery
There are many different surgical options when it comes to body contouring after losing weight after gastric bypass surgery or through lifestyle changes. These are often done sequentially based on what area of your body is bothering you the most.
Let’s review some of the basic procedures for skin tightening after weight loss, and how these surgeries might affect the different parts of the body.
Breasts and Chest Area Cosmetic Surgery Procedures
The skin on the torso and chest area are often some of the areas that have severe skin sagging after massive weight loss. Skin tightening procedures are fortunately available for the chest and torso area, as well as other parts of the body and face.
- Your torso and your breasts undergo numerous changes after major weight loss.
- So many women (and men) who lose a lot of weight often undergo breast reduction surgery – or a breast lift or lift-with-augmentation procedure.
- These surgeries will help tighten and firm the breast area.
Gynecomastia Surgery for Male Breast Reduction
Male Breast Reduction surgeries are also available for men whose chests protrude, droop or sag – or just look puffy and enlarged – before or after weight changes or Bariatric surgery.
Many men are embarrassed by “moobs” or ‘man boobs,’ which are essentially puffy looking breast tissues often related to obesity, weight changes or hormonal imbalances. These can be remedied through a low-down time surgery, male breast reduction. Sometimes this involves surgery and liposuction, but some men may be able to reduce puffy breasts with liposuction alone. It really depends on each individual and how their skin and chest tissues appear – including how much skin collagen/elasticity remains in that area after significant weight changes.
Tummy Tuck: Surgeries for the Abdominal Area after You Lose a Lot of Weight
- The stomach is greatly altered by weight loss given how weight is distributed in a person’s body. A tummy tuck is also called an Abdominoplasty Surgery.
- This procedure will help reduce the loose skin in the abdominal area and give you a much better body contour overall.
- The scar from the surgery can typically easily be hidden by your Surgeon, in the area that is covered by typical undergarments or bathing suits and swimmers.
- Skin tightening in the abdominal area is typically performed through a Belt Lipectomy, Tummy Tuck or other Abdominoplasty including abdominal muscles and hernia repairs if needed.
Surgeries for Limbs (Extremities) such as Arm Reductions and Thigh Reduction
- The trunk of the body and the belly area is obviously affected by major weight loss.
- But the arms and legs are also often adversely affected and you could be left with sagging skin.
- This is why people often get thigh lift surgery and arm lift (Brachioplasty) to help address body contour.
- These surgeries can make all the difference in terms of your appearance and overall body confidence after major weight loss or gastric bypass surgery. You will need to be at a stable weight, however, before you embark on body contouring surgery. Some procedures also require multiple surgeries or combined liposuction-with-excision approaches (such as arm reduction or breast reduction surgery).
Surgeries for the Face: FaceLifts after Weight Loss
After major weight loss, you may find that your face or neck are affected by very loose or sagging skin that was previously ‘filled out’ or ‘plumped up’ by excess fat stores. In these situations, either a facelift, brow lift, or neck lift may be just what you need to get a renewed and less-saggy facial appearance.
These facial skin tightening surgeries can help reduce loose facial skin to leave you looking more refreshed. Two commonly performed facelift types are ROUND BLOCK and SMAS Facelift.