Get Fit: 10 Reasons Why Cycling to your Office is Helpful To Lose Weight and Improve your Cardiovascular health
(By Maven) On your drive into work, have you ever noticed a Cyclist wearing working gear? Did it ever come into your mind to try to ride YOUR bike to your office location? Perhaps it crossed your mind, and you have been tinkering with the idea of cycling to work as a cooler way to commute than being stuck in traffic. People ARE cycling to work a lot more these days. So why not you? If you want to GET FIT or lose weight, and if you’re physio, GP or other health practitioner has cleared you for exercise and you know the road rules (and have a quality safety helmet, bike lights and fluorescent vests and other high-vis cycling gear), maybe you should turn your cycling commuting ideas into reality and take the leap! Just be sure you get a properly fitted, well-functioning bike and understand the road rules and road risks, and investigate alternative routes through beautiful park lands, so you can minimise road risks and enjoy your commuting time.
Top 10 Reasons why you should ride your BIKE to your office to Get FIT and Lose Weight.
Reason 1. Sitting can kill you.
- Cycling keeps you physically fit and lowers your risk for serious health conditions.
- Over 18 studies, researching over 800,000 people in sum, reported that SITTING for more than 4 hours a day had a 46% increase in deaths from any cause compared with people who sat for less than 2 hours.
- So, if you have a desk job, then you are at higher risk.
Maven’s PRO TIP: You’ll be able to skip the gym if you cycle to work to get fit! You’re going to commute anyway – so what’s an extra 20 minutes in cycling time?
Reason 2. Cycling is built in exercise during a time you’d be losing to commuting anyway – so you’re multi-tasking and getting exercise whilst you’re getting to work!
- Most people who go to work forget to exercise, or simply don’t have adequate time to exercise.
- Many skip lunch breaks when it gets busy (that’s a no no, read more about life/work balance in our Guest Blog post by Melbourne psychologist Nicole).
- Regardless of what bike you use, cycling to your office gives you a terrific workout with lots of interest and fun to keep you going while lowering your risk for serious health conditions.
Reason 3. You can get the same heart benefits from riding your bike to work (cycling to the office) that you might get from other forms of exercise including brisk walking, jogging, or dancing.
- In addition to getting fitter in your cardio and lung health and your lower body strength, you’ll likely find that exercise inspires healthier eating and other activities.
- Your sex life might even improve (people who are fit or gain better endorphin health or serotonin levels from regular exercise (the feel good hormones) often feel and look sexier and have a better sex life.
Reason 4. Not only can cycling to your office help you get fit, but you’ll be more prepared for work because you’ll be awake, alert and energised.
Reason 5. It’s better for the environment – cycling to work or biking to your office is a cheaper and a greener way of commuting.
- Cycling to work is less harmful to the environment, including air pollution and the ozone layer.
- If you live in a city with low air quality, however, or if it’s a bad air quality day in Melbourne (fortunately not so common) – just check to see what can be done to protect your lungs during high-risk air pollution days.
- Melbourne trains typically let you take your bicycle on board for FREE (but check with PT Vic for rules and regulations for carrying bikes on public transport, as you may not be able to carry your bike on board trains at certain times).
Reason 6. You’ll save money on petrol by cycling to work in Melbourne.
- Cycling to your office often saves you petrol money.
- You’ll need to clean your car less also, if you have it garaged!
- BUT you’ll need to buy and maintain a properly functioning, well fitted bicycle.
- Everyone loves saving money and if you commute to work with a bike, just think of how much you can save in a year.
- You may even decide to give up your car altogether!
Reason 7. Some Vitamin D exposure – but wear sunscreen to prevent sun damage and sun burn.
Reason 8. Parking hassles are eliminated – easier, cheaper and faster parking
- Unlike driving your car or commuting in a bus, you can skip merrily through heavy traffic avoiding the hassle and being late.
- When you arrived at your destination, you can easily park right outside (or even inside) your office.
Reason 9. In some cities, cycling may be far safer than driving in an automobile. But check your stats to be sure, and you’ll need to be defensive and protective and wear HIGH VIS gear and SAFETY HELMETS at all times.
Cycling may be safer.
- According to a study conducted by the University of New South Wales in 2008, researchers reported that biking safety is a virtuous cycle (meaning that a beneficial cycle of events or incidents, each having a positive effect on the next).
- The more cyclists are on the road, the number of collisions between drivers may potentially decrease.
Reason 10: It’s an expression of freedom, new environmental awareness and can give you a MOOD BOOST before you start work.
- Cycling to work in the summer lets you explore the city at your own pace, try a new route or cuisine, and check out a new neighborhood on your way home.
- Believe or not, biking to work can leave you feeling happier as well as healthier.
- Cycling to your office may transform your daily commute into a moderate form of exercise-based therapy.
- Regular or repeated exercise, including cycling, can help trigger the release of endorphins or “happy hormones” in your brain; reducing stress responses, alleviating some symptoms of mild depression and potentially reducing anxiety.
- In addition, good mood may boost your work productivity AND improve your sex life.
- Biking to your office is often easy to accomplish, and can be a lot of FUN.
Exercise is also said to help prevent some forms of memory loss, improve your circulation, and ramp up your brain power.
- Research has shown that moderate, daily exercise can help sharpen memory and learning, and improve your brain’s overall performance.
- Even if biking to your office doesn’t transform you into an Albert Einstein, or an elite Tour De France cyclist, at the very least it can help you become a bit more productive or perform a bit better – with less stress reactivity – in your working day.
Not only can it help you get fit and lose weight, but cycling to work for some can bring back happy memories from childhood days.
Imagining you can be carefree amid the challenges of working life simply by getting back on your bike and cycling to work in Melbourne.
Want to reduce excess body fat or redundant skin after losing a lot of weight or having bariatric surgery?
Send an enquiry form today for a list of specialists in weight loss, fitness, nutrition and bariatric or plastic surgery in your area of Australia.
- Wener W.K. Hoeger; Sharon A. Hoeger (1 January 2015). Principles and Labs for Physical Fitness. Cengage Learning. pp. 47–. ISBN 978-1-305-44608-3.
- Retrieved from https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080903112034.htm.
- Bridget Doherty; Julia VanTine (1 January 2001). Growing Younger: Breakthrough Age-defying Secrets for Women. Rodale. pp. 47–. ISBN 978-1-57954-563-5.