Body Lift Surgery and Body Contouring after Weight Loss or Gastric Surgery
Liposuction, Belt Lipectomy, Abdominoplasty, Upper Body Lift and Lower Body Lift Surgery, Arm Reduction and Thigh Reduction Surgeries after Significant Weight Loss
A Body lift or Body Contouring is a surgical process that is commonly undergone by those who have experienced massive amounts of weight loss for whatever reason, whether it’s through a form of bariatric surgery or through pure exercise and dieting. Regardless of the journey, patients who have undergone such weight loss often feel incomplete, finding themselves happy with the number on the scales but less happy at the reflection in the mirror. The leftover redundant skin from the heavier days often catches people by surprise, they expect the journey to leave them fit and slim by the end but instead find something else.
The weight loss from bariatric gastric surgery can be very significant, patients are expected to lose around 50-80% of excess body weight over a 1-4 year period depending on the type of procedure. With this amount of weight loss, it’s no surprise to see that the skin that once stretched to hold those kilos now flops around lifelessly. This problem is corrected by undergoing any one or combination of procedures encompassed in the body lift classification such as a tummy tuck, arm lift or liposuction.
Such procedures are often undertaken around 18-48 months after the weight loss has occurred in order for the patient to adapt to the new lifestyle including eating habits and exercise regimes while also achieving a stable and maintainable weight in order to maximise the effectiveness of the body lift and stopping the chance of redundant skin becoming a problem in the future.
Why Should I Consider Body Contouring?
Plastic Surgeons often say that the weight loss surgery or lifestyle changes make you healthy, but it’s the body contouring that reshapes your body that leaves patients finally happy and confident with their bodies. If the desire of wanting a slim toned body that accentuates all your hard work is not enough incentive to finally take the plunge to reduce the skin folds that hold your body image back then maybe the discomfort and other downsides of the folds will.
Excessive skin folds can cause major discomfort in your day to day activities whether it be exercising or even putting on clothes, dealing with the ‘new’ side of your body that is rarely discussed in the media can be quite daunting. On top of this, excess skin also leaves you prone to:
- Painful skin rashes
- Fungal infections
- Uncomfortable chaffing
- Poor posture
- Neck and back pain
- Less freedom for exercise/movement
- Difficulty finding clothes to fit or hide your body.
Benefits of Body Contouring
It is through the magic of these body contouring operations that really make your hard work and effort shine and seem worthwhile. It helps you to complete the final steps in the weight loss journey that aims to see your formally obese self transform into a physique covered in natural-looking curves and contours, creating a more happy and confident person on the inside by improving self-esteem in both the physical and social areas.
Body Contouring aims to provide you with:
- A tighter, trimmer and firmer look throughout the whole body.
- Natural-looking body contours that help emphasise feminine or masculine features.
- More freedom during clothes hunting – no more hunting down plus-sizes or being restricted to outfits that hide stomach or arm folds.
- A more enjoyable experience during physical exercise or even light activities – say goodbye to rubbing thighs or jiggling stomach skin.
- An improvement in health conditions mentioned above such as chaffing and skin infections.
What Procedure is right for me?
There is a range of procedures that fall under the sub-category of body lifting and often it takes a range/combination of these procedures in order to complete your transformation journey. The most common need for such procedures due to the famous “abdominal apron” that consists of a large amount of excess skin in the stomach area where fat is most commonly stored. The skin in this area is usually one of the most overstretched areas while also containing minimal collagen (a protein in skin that keeps skin elasticity and repairs stretching) which for smaller amounts of weight loss can be solved through a Tummy Tuck or Apronectomy, but for large amounts of weight loss such as those experienced through bariatric surgery a more considered approach is needed. These kinds of weight loss are usually solved through a combination of liposuction and a procedure called a belt lipectomy which essentially involves removing a belt of skin around the abdominal area.
There is a range of procedures available with the most popular being listed below:
- Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty) – Removes excess skin and fat from the upper and lower abdominal areas that tighten the stomach muscles to improve on stomach tissue laxity or core weakness.
- Lower Body Lift (Belt Lipectomy) – Involves removing a ‘belt’ of skin all the way around the abdominals. hips and lower back. The lower portion is essentially pulled upwards till it reaches the upper section (Hence its commonly called the Lower Body Lift). This process creates firmer abdomen, hips, thighs and buttocks and is most common in post-weightloss surgery patients.
- Arm Lift (Brachioplasty) – a common procedure that reduces the amount of excess fat and sagging in the upper arm area that spans from the elbow to the armpit.
- Thigh Lift (Thighplasty) – Reduces various issues such as wobbly or chaffing thighs by removing excess skin from the inner thigh/groin area. Most commonly used in conjunction with liposuction in order to remove excess fat primarily found in the target areas.
- Liposuction – a popular procedure that involves reducing various isolated fat deposits around the body creating more toned and slimmer areas. Is often used in conjunction with other body contouring techniques.
- Breast Reduction/Lift – Involves removing the amount of breast tissue and surrounding fat of the breast while also combining the breast lift procedure in order to realign the newly reshaped breast to a more natural position. This procedure improves on a wide range of conditions including neck and back pain and rashes and often improves self-esteem.
- Male Breast Reduction (Gynaecomastia) – A treatment for men who suffer from enlarged breast tissue due to medical conditions or excess weight loss. This procedure aims to reduce the amount of tissue and fat in the surrounding areas.
Download the guide to weight loss surgery
It is important to note that there may be other procedures that weren’t listed that are also available.
To find a surgeon near you visit our Plastic Surgeons Directory HERE. To find more information send us an enquiry below or call us on (03) 8849 1464 and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.